We see evidence of harmony all around us. The indigenous people understand the harmony of our planet and our place in it. They revere the earth and all living creatures and show great respect for everything. They understand that the smallest among us has mighty powers and purpose.
- Everything on the planet works together in harmony.
- We can use ritual to acknowledge this harmony.
An Indian Prayer
Respect for our plants, animals and each other show respect for Spirit. Out of the Native American approach to life there came a great freedom, an intense and absorbing respect for life, enriching faith in a Supreme Power, and principles of truth, honesty, generosity, equity, and brotherhood. Native American’s teach that all of nature is sacred and Holy and should be treated with respect. Mother earth takes care of all her children, animals, and our universe. Great Spirit is in everything. Having respect for our world means giving thanks for all things.
- Respect means being grateful for the gifts of the earth.
- Respect begins with respect for self
How the Fly Saved the River
Native American’s know that everything on this earth has a purpose and everything is important. This is true for each of us as well. Everything in our world, big and small, is important.
- Understanding the importance of even the smallest creature.
- Everything has a purpose
Don't Judge a Man Until You've Walked in His Moccasins
When we view the world with compassion, we help lift the other people on the planet. Compassion means acceptance and love without judgment. Acts of kindness show our compassion.
- When we see others with love, we see without judgment
- Treat others with compassion and empathy, as you would like to be treated