Buddha was a man who embarked on the search for truth and experienced enlightenment. Buddhism is a faith with an emphasis on each individual looking at and thinking about our own lives. Buddhism shows us how to understand ourselves and how to cope with our daily problems. Buddha believed that all the sorrow of the world was caused by selfishness. He believed the secret to life is love. This month, we share delightful Zen stories and focus on the basics of the teachings of Buddha.
Week #1: Release and Love- Release desires/wants and concentrate on love of yourself and others. We celebrate Buddha’s life this month on Nirvana Day (February 8 or 15). Nirvana is the idyllic spiritual condition, the ultimate goal of a Buddhist.
- Who was Buddha?
- What did Buddha teach?
- Buddha believed that selfishness is the cause of the world’s woes
- Being kind to self and others brings happiness
- Meditation is a way to exercise your power to manage your thoughts.
- You have control over how you think and act.
- Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
- He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.